As early as the prehistoric era, our ancestors were forced to become proficient in the art of self-defense in order to fight off attacks from hostile tribes as well as wild animals. People learned and performed the fundamental forms of Wushu, which literally translates to “martial arts,” because of this history.
In order to prepare themselves for the battles that they believe are in their near future, they started competing in duels and sparring matches. At first, they did all of their training using weapons that had shields attached to them, such as axes and swords. Wrestling and boxing evolved to become significant components of a warrior’s overall training.
Hua Tuo Physician
A famous physician Hua Tuo in the second century BC developed a series of moves which mimicked the movements of animals and produced a fighting style and fitness training. Tuo’s system incorporates various movements copied from tigers, bears, deers, birds and apes.
These basic principles were to have far reaching influence for centuries to come. During the Ming and Qing dynasties systems of progression were also developed with Warrior of Agility and Warrior of Courage being possible.
Wushu developed into a style involving kicking, punching, striking, catching, pushing and stabbing for the purpose of self-defense and fitness training and incorporates either bare hands or weapons.
Wushu was originally developed as a form of military training and body building but also became a spiritual base and sporting practice.
Nowadays within China it is an important part of the military and police forces and once again has become an essential part of ordinary people’s lives. In the 60’s, Hollywood’s martial arts films contributed a large part to the popularity of Wushu and Kung Fu outside of China today.
>>> Read Next >>>
Wushu is a collective term that includes many different styles of combat like long boxing, taiji boxing, sanshou and short and long weapon play.
Other boxing styles have evolved teachings of their own according to their founders, like Yang’s Taiji, Wu’s Taiji and Chen’s Taiji to name a few. The weapon play styles include training in the use of spear, cudgel, broadsword and saber.
From their very basic, simplistic principles these wushu schools have become complicated systems of religion, training and combat and given rise to religions like Taoist, Confucians and Buddhist beliefs.
These beliefs also encourage practitioners to focus on achieving spiritual enlightenment and inner calm aside from physical well-being.
Wushu lessons takes through rhythmical patterns or Forms, sparring with partners or shadow boxing, using traditional Chinese philosophies and medicine. All of these combine to give the student a peace in body and mind.
As well as military combat and spiritual enlightenment Wushu lessons has branched out to become sporting events like Taekwondo and fencing, while certain aspects are now established as forms of performance dance and opera.
Other Martial Arts Beginners Are Also Reading
- Venum Clothing Is Making A Big Impact MMA With Their Unique Venum Fight Shorts
- Amazon Prime Day 2022 – Best Discounts For Martial Arts Accessories | Training Equipment Under COVID-19
- Martial Arts Protective Gear & Equipment | Black Friday Deals For Training Under COVID-19
- Get A Pro Quality Fight Jersey For MMA Training
- Using Boxing Gloves For Mixed Martial Arts Training
- Quality Fairtex Training Gear
- Why Wearing A Jiu Jitsu Gi Is Important When Training?
- Is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Right For You?
- Five Equipment Essentials Of MMA Training
- MMA HeadWear And MMA Hats Are A Great Addition To Any Wardrobe
- Get A MMA Fight Jersey From Top Apparel & Clothing Brands
- Productive Training With MMA Training Gear And Martial Arts Training Equipment
- Today’s MMA Shorts And Grappling Shorts Offer Style And Performance
- MMA Training Pads And Proper Sparring Equipment Are Needed When Training MMA
- Jiu Jitsu Pro Gear Is Essential To Training Your Ground Game
- An MMA Mouth Guard Is Essential When Training Or Competing In MMA
- Men’s MMA Shorts And Fight Shorts Are Becoming More Stylish
- Womens MMA Gear & Womens MMA Clothing Becoming More Popular As The Sport Grows
- Using Fight Gear, MMA Gear And MMA Clothing To Train Right And Look Good!
- Definitions Of Various MMA Training Gear And Fighting Gear
- The Largest MMA Organization The UFC Is Now Taking Over MMA Fashion With UFC Clothing And Apparel
- Fairtex Training Gear Is One Of The Most Sought After Gear By MMA Enthusiasts
- About MMA Gloves And Where To Find MMA Gear
- MMA Rash Guards And Grappling Rash Guard Have Many Benefits When Training MMA
- Women’s MMA Gear, Clothing & Apparels Guide For Female Fighters!
- How Properly Use A Heavy Bag For Boxing?
- Is Sledgehammer Training Becoming A Key Part For MMA Training
- MMA Rash Guards Offer Extra Protection
- The Benefits Of Using A Free Standing Heavy Bag
- Mma Kickboxing
- Is A Muay Thai Bag Different Than A Boxing Bag?
- Major Advances In Men’s MMA Shorts
- Kickboxing And MMA Training Require Quality MMA Shin Guards
- Optimum MMA Training Begins With Quality MMA Training Gear
- Make Good Decisions When Buying MMA Shorts
- Starting With Kickboxing
- The Most Brutal Martial Arts In The World | Expert Reviews
- Best Martial Art For A Street Fight in 2022 | Explained By Professional Coaches
👍 For Adults
- Martial Arts In The Digital Age
- How Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Gained Its Fame?
- Which Sports Are Most Popular In America? Here Are What Is Supposed To Be The Top 20!
👍 For Kids
- Wushu For Kids
- Best Martial Arts Styles And Actions In 2022 | Exercise Under COVID-19
- An Introduction To Shotokan Karate
👍 Martial Arts Equiptments